Thursday, February 24, 2011

What Does It Take to Publish a Successful Digital Magazine?



Running an online magazine is rewarding, hard work

Clutch Founder/Editorial Director Deanna Sutton:
What Does It Take to Publish a Successful Digital Magazine?
by Felicia Pride

I don’t know when I first was introduced to Clutch magazine. But instantly I thought three things: dope + necessary+ finally. Under the passionate tutelage of founder and editorial director, Deanna Sutton, and under the banner ushering in the new era for young, contemporary women of color, Clutch represents an important model in digital publishing entrepreneurship—finding a need, successfully filling that need with high quality design and content, and connecting with your audience, sincerely at your home base and through social media. As a result, the magazine has accumulated a steady increase in viewers every quarter since its inception.

BackList caught up with the crazy busy Sutton to gain insight into her day-to-day, future goals for Clutch, and why tough skin is an essential trait for publishers.

BackList: What did you do in your previous life?

DS: I was in marketing and public relations for some top PR agencies and brands.

BackList: When did you first visualize Clutch?

Deanna Sutton: I first visualized Clutch in 2002 after I lost my father suddenly. I was in a deep state of depression and through an encounter with my best friend on the state of magazines for women our age, the idea was born. We started as print and re-launched as an online magazine in April 2007.

BackList: At one point, you were sort of running Clutch as a one-woman show. What was that like on a daily basis?

DS: I am blessed to have great friends, writers and supporters that helped a lot when Clutch first launched in 2007. But, yes up until about a year ago I was posting, assigning, publicizing and more for Clutch. No life.

BackList: Now that you have a team working with you, how have things changed?

DS: It’s still very hard. Coming up with content that our readers will like is extremely difficult. Our readers are one of a kind and expect nothing but the best and hold us accountable if we don’t give that. I still do everything I did before, now I just have some help.

BackList: Who is a Clutch reader and how did you finally profile her?

DS: The Clutch reader is extremely intelligent, fashionable, aware, social and progressive. It took me about 2 ½ years to figure out what our readers wanted and who the Clutch woman was. It took lots of chances on the content – from focusing on celebrities to fashion and beauty to finally commentary that matters to us. I am so not into celebs like that and I didn’t want Clutch to be stans for celebrities.

Read the Full Interview @ theBackList

No comments:

Post a Comment