Friday, October 8, 2010

The Black Man's Code of Conduct



The Black Man's Code of Conduct
by Mychal Denzel Smith | TheLoop21

I was in New York City recently and had a chance to sit down and soak up the wisdom of a man I truly admire, Professor R. L’Heureux Lewis of City College New York. Professor Lewis has done a lot of work to highlight and address the concept of black male privilege, and I wanted to talk to him and gain insight on the types of things that need to be done to get our community moving forward on redefining black masculinity and promoting new models of black manhood.

When I arrived at his office, Professor Lewis was with a student and needed to step out for a bit, but told me to go in, take a seat, and introduce myself to the student. I walked in, took a seat, nodded, said “what’s going on, bruh?”, and then basked in the silence. Upon Professor Lewis’ return, he queried as to what I and the other young man had learned about each other; neither of us could produce an answer. We had been sitting in the same space for nearly two minutes, and didn’t even know each other’s names.

I’ve long been aware of the tension that often characterizes the interpersonal relationships of black men. I can remember as a teenager many fights starting between brothers because one looked at the other the “wrong way.” Walking past other black men in any public space, I’d consciously avoid eye or accidental physical contact, an affront of the worst kind, lest I be forced to defend myself against a group of brothers much larger and angrier than myself. I was lucky, I could typically talk my way out of these situations.

Not everyone is that fortunate.

I can’t say what exactly is the source of this tension and mistrust among black men, as it can differ for everyone, but it is fed by our collective insecurities and desire to protect our respective manhoods. There are brothers who have suffered physical or sexual abuse at the hands of another black man and now question the motives of every brother they see. There are brothers so fearful of their own sexuality, they project it onto others and wish attack. There are brothers who buy into the stereotypes that depict black men as naturally and viciously violent, either wanting to adopt that persona or protect themselves from it in others. No matter the process that birthed this mentality, it has manifested itself in a way that impedes the process of black men addressing one another with respect and love.

I say we permanently adopt the attitude we embrace when we notice that we are alone in a space occupied by a majority of white people.

Read the Full Essay @ theLoop21

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment