Friday, May 18, 2007

Would Billie Holiday Have Won American Idol?














A nice perspective on Melinda Doolittle from my colleague over at Diary of an Axious Black Woman.


Would Billie Holiday Win American Idol If She Were Still Alive?

I hope I remember the sinking feeling of tonight, and I'm posting here publicly on my blog, so that by next January, if I'm foolishly drawn to the sucktastic behemoth that is American Idol, someone will kindly remind me that there's no point... the best just will not win.

Yes, tonight, my favorite and, in my humble opinion, the best American Idol contestant I've ever seen since watching this show since its inception, just got voted off before the final showdown. I'm talking about none other than Melinda Doolittle.

I thought she had all the right ingredients - class act, amazing set of pipes, humility and grace, etc. Yet, here she is finishing 3rd when two other contestants, who're good enough at their various musical abilities but just so amateur in comparison to Melinda managed to sail right past her. Come again?

Since my last post was about American Idol and its "smoke and mirrors" approach to racial diversity, I think it's only appropriate that I revisit the show and my favorite contestant's fall tonight and call attention not only to their offensive "illusion of inclusion" approach to racial politics in this nation, but also to their "illusion of scouting the best talent," which is increasingly becoming downright laughable. This may have something to do with the "America votes" system in place, but what does it mean that the show proves time and again that "democracy breeds mediocrity"?

Interestingly, different representatives from the show kept doing interviews that acknowledged Melinda's crazy talent but always ended by saying things to the effect of: "she's too good for this show." Why would a versatile singer not do well in a singing competition, and why would her talent actually be considered a set-back? Hmmm... what is our culture's obsession with mediocrity?

But, something dawned on me. I suddenly had the strangest image of the most amazing vocalist this country has ever witnessed ever ... Billie Holiday...alive and well and actually auditioning for a show like AI because, as someone who once desired to be popular and a crossover success (she never really was when she was alive), it's something she might've done to break into the music business. Of course, back in the day, racism was to blame for her crossover limitations, but I also think that there is something so unique and musically stylish in the way that Billie sang that defies any kind of pop, generic appeal. Her voice is not showy, it's not stagey, yet it moves you to the core of your being, and the singing is so nuanced that most audiences who want music on the go - a la "fast food" - just would not appreciate the flavor and the subtlety.

No comments:

Post a Comment