Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Soul Patrol's Bob Davis on Don Imus and Knee-GroW Radio

It seems to me that folks seem to have forgotten that the principle of "free speech" also applies to people who have opinions that differ from our own?

Broadcasters say things every day that might offend someone. Does that mean they should lose their jobs?

Hell, I have pretty much stopped listening to the radio because I can't find anything on it that doesn't offend me (except the traffic and the
weather).

The flip side of "freedom of speech" is "the freedom not to listen".

I find most of what is currently broadcast on "knee-grow radio stations" to be offensive.
They have freedom of speech to be offensive.
It's guaranteed by the US Constitution.
Therefore despite the fact that I'd like to see them removed from the
air, I simply don't listen to them.

I don't listen to Imus either for the same reason.
I have better things to do with my time...

I guess what I'm not quite understanding is where and why people get the time/energy to put into what a DJ says, but have so little time or energy to focus on other issues that might actually have a meaningful impact on their lives.

Freedom of speech isn't going away.
Neither is Imus.
But lets suppose for a moment that he did go away.

Would it change anything?

***

Bob Davis is co-owner/creator (with his brother Mike) of the award winning Soul-Patrol.com website. He is also the web master/moderator/editor/radio program director of Soul-Patrol

No comments:

Post a Comment